Saturday, March 31, 2012

Just another blog, I guess. But it's mine!

I want to write.

When I tell my aspiration to people, they say, "Oh, you should start a blog."

Really?  Something in me resists the idea of blogging. I don't really read blogs, myself.  Why should other people read my blog?  Isn't there enough content out there and media overload?

Every morning, I get up, roll over and turn off the iPhone alarm.  Then I check email, the weather and the top stories on my BBC News app.  In the car I listen to a daily podcast on spiritual matters and then decide to listen to the news on the radio or not.  Next, work is all about emails, phone calls, meetings, deliverables.  And then back in the car for more radio news (or not).  Then home to try to clean, cook and have family time... while watching TV of course.

I mean, really.  For a mind that avoids being simply a consumer and tries to generate something, that's a hell of a lot of media I intake.

Well, maybe a blog is a way of pushing back, of breaking the pattern of intake with little output.  Hmm.  That's something I can live with, actually.  "Be generative." This was the advice one of my favorite professors received from his mentor, and it's a phrase that sticks with me.  Produce something.  Many somethings, hopefully.  Here's a start.  I shout back into the expanse that is the world and say, "Hey!  Just another blog, I guess.  But it's mine!"

No comments:

Post a Comment